Your inner dialogue, that constant voice in your ear, can be your greatest friend or your worst enemy. It all depends on your mental habits. Some people are more naturally optimistic than others, while some can lean toward a more pessimistic view on the world. When it comes to the way you talk to yourself, you can take control. You are in control over how you perceive yourself and how you choose to live your life.
Changing how you talk to yourself can be difficult. Over time, your persistent thoughts have created certain pathways in your mind. This makes it hard to believe anything else. Just like starting an exercise plan or new diet, it may be difficult to start these new mental habits.
Tips to Start Positive Self Dialogue
- Become Self-Aware: What are you telling yourself everyday? Keep track of when you put yourself down and when you are positive. When a thought comes to mind ask yourself “Would I say this to my best friend?” If not, you know what you need to change. Becoming self-aware will help you know what your weaknesses and strengths are and where you can improve.
- Challenge the Negative Thoughts With Questions: When you say “I can’t” ask yourself, “Why can’t I?” Work on saying “I can” more. When other negative thoughts come to mind tell yourself “Stop” or “Cancel” aloud. This will help you replace negative brain pathways with positive ones.
- Replacement Mantra: You can use this for anything in your life where you feel you need positive reinforcement. For example:
- If you say, “I am so stressed, I am never going to get anything done.” Instead, tell yourself “I know with time and effort I can achieve what I need to.”
- If you tell yourself, “I am just a negative person, I will never change.” Instead say, “I am capable of change.”
- If you say, “So and so is much better at this than me. I give up.” Say to yourself instead, “I am enough.”
- Be Present: When you focus so much on things that have to happen in the future, you cause yourself needless worry. Control your worry by focusing on what you can do in the next minute, hour, or day.
A positive and healthy state of mind will allow you to reach your goals and success. For more tips on how to live a healthy and happy life, subscribe to our blog below and check out our Facebook page.